Mini Escheat Departments, Part II - Unclaimed Child Support Payments

On Monday, we posted an entry about unclaimed property being held by government entities other than the state unclaimed property agencies -- in particular, municipal and county governments.  Following up on these "mini escheat departments," ABC's Good Morning America posted an online article about yet another source of unclaimed funds -- unclaimed child support payments.  In many places, a child support payor is required to make payments directly to a state or municipal agency.  As a result, if the receiver moves and does not notify the child support agency of a new address, the funds can go unclaimed. 

The GMA article has links to child support agencies in some states and major metro areas, as well as other information on how to claim these funds.

Popular Posts